Dr. Ebby Elahi brings a breadth and depth of experience to his orbitofacial plastic surgery practice. After his medical training and residency at Mount Sinai School of Medicine and his fellowship training at Mount Sinai and Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Infirmary, he continued his involvement with the prestigious Mount Sinai in many capacities including teaching clinical medicine and surgery to fellows and residents with diverse medical specialties. As well, he has served as Director of Eye Care Services at Mount Sinai-NYU Medical Center.
His many years of medical, microsurgical and laser surgical work have been grounded in both research and practical experience. Dr. Ebby Elahi's practical experience covers a wide range from oculofacial reconstructive surgery to complex cancer reconstructive surgery to purely aesthetic facial plastic surgery. His success with thousands of procedures stems from his focus on combining safety and skill with a strong commitment to achieving a natural and desired result for each individual. This includes patients seen in his Manhattan offices, patients treated as a part of his teamwork with other specialists at several major academic centers in New YorK City , as well as pro bono patients treated in developing world countries.
It is possible that Dr. Ebby Elahi's success also has its roots in his love of art in all contexts. He derives intense satisfaction in knowing that his patients come to him for individual consultation and treatment and eventually depart with increased confidence and well-being.
Associate Clinical Professor, Ophthalmology & Global Health
Division of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Mount Sinai Medical Center, NY
January 2008 – present
Beth Israel Medical Center, NY
2009 – present
Director, Fifth Avenue Eye Associates / FACES Fifth Avenue
2005 – present
Attending Surgeon / Clinical Instructor
Elmhurst General Hospital, NY
2000 – present
Assistant Clinical Professor, Ophthalmology
Division of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Mount Sinai Medical Center, NY
2001 – 2007
New York Eye, Ear and Throat Infirmary
Director, Eye Care Services
Mount Sinai–NYU Medical Center, NY
2001 – 2004
Fellowship in Orbitofacial, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Mount Sinai-NYU Medical Center; Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Infirmary
Mentors: Murray A. Meltzer, MD and Henry M. Spinelli MD
July 2000 – June 2001
Residency in Ophthalmology
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NY
July 1997 – June 2000 (Chief Resident, 1999–2000)
John Burns School of Medicine, HI
July 1996 – June 1997
Doctor of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NY
September 1992 – May 1996
Bachelor of Arts
Hofstra University, NY
September 1990 – June 1992
Faculté de Médecine
Université Louis Pasteur, France
October 1989 – June 1990
Honors & Awards
• New York Magazine Best Doctors (2012-2013)
• Castle & Connolly Best Doctors (2010-2014)
• Best Doctors (2010-2014)
• SuperDocs (2009-2014)
• Most Compassionate (2012-2014)
• America's Top Ophthalmologists (2006-2014)
• Mount Sinai Auxiliary Board and Young Women's Division's Award for Outstanding Contribution to the International Community - 2013
• Alpha Omega Alpha, Lambda Chapter
• Abraham Kornzweig Award, Excellence in Resident Teaching (2002)
• Excellence in Surgical Teaching – Mount Sinai (2003)
• Medical Student Teaching Award, Nominee (1999)
• Howard Hughes student Grant, Research in Basic Immunology (1993-94)
• Expandable Orbital Wall Implant – Patent Pending
The invention related to an expandable implant to repair orbital wall or floor fractures using a minimally invasive incisions to insert the device within the orbit.
• Orbital Implant Device, US patent US 7722670
An adjustable orbital implant device intended to restore orbital volume for repair of deformity (trauma, surgery or congenital disorders) or for aesthetic purposes.
• Collar support member with fastening means, US patent 2005/0251892
The invention relates to a device for supporting and retaining the shape of a collar of a garment.
Other Professional Roles
• Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
• Fellow, American College of Surgeons
• Fellow, American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
• Fellow, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
• Fellow, American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery
• Secretary, New York Facial Plastic Surgery Society
• Treasurer, New York Facial Plastic Surgery Society
• Member, American Medical Association
• Member, Medical Society of the State of New York
• Committee Member, MSSNY Committee on CME and Credentialing
• Member, New York State Ophthalmological Society
• Associate, Research to Prevent Blindness
• Member, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
• President, Mount Sinai Eye Alumni Association
• Member, Mount Sinai Global Health Task Force
• Member, American Association of French Speaking Health Professionals
• Director, Global Health & International Affairs, Virtue Foundation
• Member, Benign Essential Blepharospasm Society
• Member, Steering Committee, Cornell Avon Center for Women and Justice
• Member, New York Office-Based Surgery
• Member, Mount Sinai Admissions Committee
• Founder / President, Mount Sinai International Health Society
• Former Fellow, American College of Physician Executives
• Former Member, Mount Sinai Ophthalmology Residency Admissions Committee
• Former Member, Mount Sinai Executive Surgical Committee
• Former Chairman, Membership Committee, Mount Sinai Alumni Association
• Consultant for Bausch & Lomb Pharmaceutical
Peer Reviewed Original Contributions
• Balfour-Lynn RE, Marsh G, Gorayi D, Elahi E, Larovere J. Non-invasive ventilation for children with acute respiratory failure in the developing world: Literature review and an implementation example. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2014
• Landrigan PJ, Ripp J, Murphy RJ, Claudio L, Jao J, Hexom B, Bloom HG, Shirazian T, Elahi E, Koplan JP. New academic partnerships in global health: innovations at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Mt Sinai J Med. 2011 May-Jun;78(3):470-82.*
• Spinelli HM, Shapiro MD, Wei LL, Elahi E, Hirmand H. The role of lacrimal intubation in the management of facial trauma and tumor resection. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 Jun;115(7):1871-6.
• Meltzer MA, Elahi E, Taupeka P, Flores E. A simplified technique of ptosis repair using a single adjustable suture. Ophthalmology. 2001 Oct;108(10):1889-92.
• Parsa FD, Wolff DR, Parsa NN, Elahi E. Upper eyelid ptosis repair after cataract extraction and the importance of Hering's test. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001 Nov;108(6):1527-36;
• Parsa FD, Miyashiro MJ, Elahi E, Mirzai TM. Lower eyelid hernia repair for palpebral bags: a comparative study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998 Dec;102(7):2459-65.
• Patel BC, Elahi E, Anderson RL, Harnsberger HR. "Pneumofornix" (air under the eyelid): a normal finding. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers. 1997 Jun;28(6):520-2.
• Brumeanu TD, Zaghouani H, Elahi E, Daian C, Bona CA. Derivatization with monomethoxypolyethylene glycol of Igs expressing viral epitopes obviates adjuvant requirements. J Immunol. 1995 Apr 1;154(7):3088-95.
• Pricop L, Brumeanu T, Elahi E, Moran T, Wang BS, Troustine M, Huszar D, Alt F, Bona C. Antibody response elicited by T-dependent and T-independent antigens in gene targeted kappa-deficient mice. Int Immunol. 1994 Dec;6(12):1839-47.
• Distefano A, Meltzer M, Wu A, Roen J, Friedman A, Elahi E. Diagnosis and treatment of IgG4-related ophthalmic disease: a case series – Submitted to JAMA Feb 2014
• Nolan K, Henry M, Shohet M, Elahi E, Marmur E. Use of a perimeter technique with Mohs micrographic surgery in the resection of a giant basal cell carcinoma. J Cutan Med Surg. 2012 Nov-Dec;16(6):465-8.*
• Elahi E, Su D, Young A. Canaliculitis involving Mycobacterium fortuitum after dacryocystorhinostomy with silicone stenting. Can J Ophthalmol. 2011 Jun;46(3):291-2.*
• Eloy JA, Jacobson AS, Elahi E, Shohet MR. Enophthalmos as a complication of rhinoplasty. Laryngoscope. 2006 Jun;116(6):1035-8.
• Elahi E, Meltzer MA, Friedman AH, Som PM. Primary orbital angiomatous meningioma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2003 Jan;121(1):124-7.
• Elahi E. Age-related changes of the human orbit as measured by computed tomography: a longitudinal study; ASOPRS (2008)
• Elahi E., "They don't see why you want to get in their way. In: Harvest of Innocence Leigh M, ed, Book Surge Publishing, NY; 2006. 37-42.
• Elahi E. "Survival and hope in a globalized world." Centerpoint Now, United Nations 60th Anniversary Commemorative Issue (2005).
Books and Book Chapters
• Elahi E, Holt N. Sight Saving Procedures. In: Roth R et al. Anesthesia and Global Health. 1st ed. Saunders Elsevier – 2014 (forthcoming)
• Elahi E, Spinelli HM. Eyelid and orbital surgery. In: Plastic Surgery: Indications and Practice. 1st ed. Saunders Elsevier; 2009. vol. 1, p. 851-67.
• Elahi E. Cataract surgery. In: Magill's Medical Guide, 3rd rev. ed. Salem Press; 2005. p. 422-5.
• Elahi E. Spinelli HM. Complications of cosmetic blepharoplasty. In: Spinelli HM. Atlas of Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery. 1st ed. Saunders; 2003. p. 161-5.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
• Sheyman A, Cohen B, Elahi E, Friedman A. How'd that get there? Morning Rounds; Eyenet Magazine. April 2014. P. 49-50
• Elahi E. The fight for greater justice for women; The Daily Beast (2011)
• Elahi E. Winning photograph. Pharos Publication of AOA society – 2010
• John Jesitus reporting on Ebby Elahi: Periorbital rejuvenation: 3-D approach addresses underlying structure – Dermatology Times, March 2008
• "Neurotoxin comparison: is there a difference?" World Ophthalmology Congress, Abu Dhabi (February 2012).
• "Blindness and the bottom billion: global health challenges in the new millennium," Cornell Medical Center Dept. of Ophthalmology (2010).
• "Orbital volumetric changes and surface anatomy," 4th Annual French-American Ophthalmology Symposium, Mount Sinai (2009).
• "Minimally invasive approaches to the orbit and skull base," Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Washington DC (2007).
• "Advances in periocular surgery," Mount Sinai International Winter Symposium of Dermatology (2007).
• Advanced surgical techniques, Department of Ophthalmology (2002–12).
• "Stolen Faces," Documentary and panel on acid violence in Cambodia, United Nations (2005).
• "Healthcare in the global village," Chicago Health Forum, UIC (2005).
• "Ethical dilemmas of tertiary subspecialty care," Oxford Bioethics Consortium, Oxford University (2004).
• "Ophthalmology in general medical practice," Annual Meeting of the American College of Physicians (2004)
• "Orbital and ocular complications of functional endoscopic sinus surgery," Goldman Lecture, Marriot Marquis (2003).
• "Ethical dilemmas in subspecialty tertiary referral practice," Mount Sinai Ethics Committee (2003).
• "Medicine in the 21st century: untangling the ethical implications of modern healthcare," Rockefeller University (2003).
• "Use of deep temporalis fascia in eyelid lengthening procedures," Annual Meeting of Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons (2001).
• "Pifaretti's technique of transpunctal endoscopic treatment of nasolacrimal stenosis," Annual Meeting of European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Spain (2001).
• "Managing trauma to the nasolacrimal apparatus," Guest lecturer at Mount Sinai-NYU Medical Center, Department of Otolaryngology Grand Rounds (2001).
• "Information, healthcare and technology: the impact of the internet on the future of medicine," Tenth Annual Conference of the World Information Transfer, United Nations (2001).
• "Medical school metamorphosis," Guest lecturer, Cornell Weil Medical College (2000).
• "Developing psychospiritual approaches to change," American Psychiatric Association 148th Annual Meeting (1995).
• Marcet M, Kuk A, Phelps P, Elahi E, Selva D, "Randomized Clinical Trials in Endoscopic Dacryocystorhinostomy: A Systematic Review" – Abstract American Academy of Opthalmology 30039917, 2014
• Distefano A, Meltzer M, Wu A, Roen J, Elahi E, "Diagnosis and treatment of IgG4-related ophthalmic disease: a case series" – Poster, ASOPRS Meeting, New Orleans 2013 – Submitted for Publication JAMA Ophthalmology 2014
• Paul BC, Elahi E, Miller PJ, "Conjunctivochalasis after Blepharoplasty" American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Meeting Meeting, Florida 2013
• Goldstein G, Park E, Elahi, E, Shohet M., "Surgical management of compressive optic neuropathy due to orbital osseous lesions," Triological Society 113th Annual Meeting (2010).
• Schulhof J, Schwartz A, Elahi E., "Post-operative symptoms following topical clear cornea cataract surgery," Presented at The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology 2009 - Submitted for publication (2010).
• Shohet M, Jenkins AL, Elahi E., "Meningoencephalocele presenting as orbital varix". NASBS, Chicago (2007).
• Friedman A, Elahi E. Spitz. "Nevus of the caruncle," European Ophthalmic Pathology Society, Prague (2005).
• Elahi E, Ellison J. "Perioperative retinoscopy as a predictor of final refractive outcome in clear cornea cataract surgery with topical anesthesia," The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (2003).
• Elahi E, Lyon L, Ashton A., "Variability in physician productivity in an urgent care setting," Mount Sinai Community Medicine Report (1995).
• Elahi, E., "Significance of DAPI staining on invertebrates as a tool to study DNA evolution patterns using the holarctic frog as a model," Hofstra University Report (1992).
Media Resource Educational Materials
• Surgical technique video. Tarsomullerectomy for repair of upper lid ptosis – Video accompanying textbook; Plastic Surgery: Indications and Practice. Elsevier; 2009
• Surgical technique video. Orbital floor decompression – Video accompanying textbook; Plastic Surgery: Indications and Practice. Elsevier; 2009
• "Stolen Faces" Documentary on the phenomenon of acid violence in Cambodia; 2008